Individuals and Families
Now everyone in Delaware can choose health. The new Health Insurance Marketplace offers coverage to fit your budget and meet your needs.
Why should you choose to be insured?
Top eight reasons to get health insurance.
You need to take care of your health.
No one is invincible. If you are injured or get sick, medical care can save or drastically improve your life.
Now you have help to make it affordable.
The new health insurance reform makes sure that paying for your plan does not take up too much of your monthly income.
You can choose.
At the Health Insurance Marketplace, health insurance companies will compete for your business. So you can compare their offers and choose a plan that’s right for you.
You can prevent future health issues.
Health insurance can also help you avoid health issues before they become major problems. Preventive care is available at no additional cost once you pay your monthly plan premium.
Your family needs you.
Staying healthy matters more than ever when you have a family. You want to keep yourself healthy and make sure you’re around for your children for years to come.
You’ll enjoy peace of mind.
Purchasing health insurance gives you peace of mind because you know you are prepared for any health crisis that might occur.
It’s just the right thing to do.
Taking personal responsibility for your health and financial well-being is just the right thing to do for you and for everyone else.
By January 2014, every American will be required to have health insurance.
Are you eligible?
- Yes, if your employer does not offer affordable health insurance.
- If your employer offers health insurance through SHOP, you should sign up through your employer.
- If you are not eligible for public coverage from Medicaid or Medicare, you can apply for coverage online through the individual Health Insurance Marketplace.
- You must live in the United States.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or national (or be lawfully present).
- You can’t be currently incarcerated.
Are your children eligible for the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)?
CHIP was created to help states insure low-income children who are ineligible for Medicaid but cannot afford private insurance. In Delaware, CHIP is known as Delaware Healthy Children Program.
A child may qualify under the Delaware Healthy Children Program if he or she:
- Does not have health insurance.
- Is under the age of 19 and resides in the state of Delaware.
- Is a U.S. citizen or legally residing noncitizen.
- Is not a dependent of a permanent State of Delaware employee.
- Meets income eligibility requirements based on the number of people in your family and your total income.
How the Health Insurance Marketplace works.
- You apply for health insurance online at the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- You compare the plans and choose the one that’s right for you.
- Multiple insurance companies will compete for your business by presenting you with different quotes for your chosen plan.
- You tailor a plan to suit your specific needs.
Health Insurance Marketplace Fast Facts
- Preexisting conditions can’t keep you out.
- Adult children up to age 26 can stay on their parents’ plan.
- There are no dollar limits on lifetime benefits.
- Hospitalization, doctor visits, prescriptions and more are covered.
- Dental care for children is available.
Here are the essential health benefits that will be covered in each plan offered through the Marketplace, regardless of its actuarial value (bronze, silver, gold and platinum):
- Outpatient care
- Emergency services
- Hospital services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance use disorder services
- Prescription drugs
- Services and devices to help people with injuries, disabilities or chronic conditions
- Laboratory services
- Preventive and wellness services such as shots and screenings
- Help with chronic diseases like diabetes
- Pediatric services, including oral and vision care
Important Medicaid information:
Delaware will expand Medicaid eligibility in 2014 to those who earn up to 138 percent of the federal poverty level. If you think you might qualify for Medicaid, please go to ASSIST, the state’s online screening and enrollment website.Menu
Protect yourself against identity theft.
To sign up for health insurance you will have to provide some personal information. As long as you sign up through Choose Health Delaware, you can trust that your information is safe and secure. Here are some tips to help you keep your personal information and identity safe:
- Don’t give any personal information to anyone without official identification. All licensed Choose Health Delaware Guides have the proper ID, and, by law, they are not permitted to share any of your information.
- There’s no need to give out your Social Security number except when you’re signing up. So unless you’re completing the application, keep it to yourself.
- To get an estimate of what insurance might cost you, only provide the minimum amount of demographic personal information necessary (such as your household income and the number of people in your family, never your Social Security number).